Now we have a possibility to search at our to start with ASUS motherboard, the TUF X299 Mark one. The Mark one is detailed as a sturdy and responsible motherboard for enthusiasts and gamers. The TUF Mark one sits in the center of the ASUS item stack and carries above the armor observed on former era TUF boards and adds an updated concept and characteristics to the newest iteration.
ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 Overview
ASUS’s ‘The Ultimate Force’ (TUF) lineup of boards expanded from 1 board on the X99 chipset (Sabertooth) to two on X299 with the TUF X299 Mark one and X299 Mark two. The Mark one the much more element rich version for X299, with two ethernet ports, eight SATA ports, and a entrance USB three.one (ten Gbps) header, as nicely as the entire armor search.
There are 3 strengthened entire-length PCIe slots for online video playing cards and support up to 3-way SLI and Crossfire. The bodily slot configuration enables for 3 slot GPUs to fit in the most important GPU slots as nicely. For storage, each M.two slots are related by using the chipset. A single of the M.two supports each SATA and PCIe units, while the other is PCIe only. On the SATA facet, all eight ports are related natively through the chipset. SATA ports 5/6/7/eight do share bandwidth with the next PCIe x4 slot.
The TUF Mark one has a mobile phone app that connects through the provided Bluetooth module to aid in debugging. In addition, the board makes use of Q-LEDs at the top of the board to explain to exactly where the board gets caught throughout Submit. The eight-phase VRM is shared across a pair of the SKUs in the ASUS lineup, including the ROG X299 Strix XE, which we will have an in-depth critique on as nicely.
On the USB facet of points, there are two USB three.one (ten Gbps) ports, 1 Variety-A and 1 Variety-C, which are dealt with by the ASMedia 3142 controller. The entrance panel USB three.one Variety-C port managed by an ASMedia 1543 swap. The chipset provides eight USB three. ports in total, four at back again panel and four by using inside headers, and 6 USB two. ports, 4 on the back again panel and two by using an inside header.
The X299 TUF Mark one makes use of an Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN controller and an I211-AT Gigabit LAN controller for network duties. Equally units are in a position to be accessed by the Turbo LAN computer software utility for targeted visitors checking, routing, and other network capabilities. The board does not come with Wi-Fi abilities.
Overall functionality from the X299 TUF Mark one was mid-pack for almost all benchmarks. Attributes these as Multi-Core Turbo are optional, and are supplied when XMP is enabled. Overclocking was straight forward, with the board hitting 4.5 GHz identical to other products, whilst the ‘Fast Tuning’ possibility for vehicle overclocking gave a pleasant 4.three GHz for all cores that was very near our manual CPU voltage. This would make a pleasant 1-contact overclock with the ideal CPU.
The present cost on the X299 Mark one is $340 with its tiny brother, the Mark two at $259. Exterior of its own item line up the cost level has it competing with the likes of the EVGA X299 FTW ($330), MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ($330), GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Extremely Gaming Pro ($350), and the ASRock X299 Taichi XE ($322).
ASUS X299 Approach
ASUS brings a present total of eight X299 boards to select from: the ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extraordinary producing its house in the Republic of Players (ROG) enthusiast phase alongside with the ROG Rampage VI Apex and the ROG Strix X299-E Gaming and Strix X299-XE Gaming. The Prime phase is composed of two boards – the Prime X299-A and the Prime X299-Deluxe. Previous but not the very least the TUF lineup also is composed of two boards, the TUF X299 Mark two, and TUF X299 Mark one. All boards are ATX or larger dimensions so modest type element buyers will be pressured to search in other places.
|ASUS’ X299 Motherboard Lineup (12/6)|
|ROG Rampage VI Extraordinary||–||$790|
|ROG Rampage VI Apex||$437||$430|
|ROG Strix X299-XE Gaming||impending||$370||$370|
|TUF X299 Mark one||this critique||$340||$340|
|ROG Strix X299-E Gaming||$320||$320|
|TUF X299 Mark two||$260||$260|
Overall, the item stack has a amount of element factors and cost crossover among the segments.
Info on Intel’s X299 and our other Assessments
With Intel’s release of the Basin Falls platform, encompassing the new X299 chipset and LGA2066 socket, a new era of CPUs called Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X were also produced. The Skylake-X CPUs assortment from the 7800X, a hex-core section, all the way up to an eighteen-core 7980XE multitasking behemoth. Involving the bookend CPUs are five others increasing in core rely, as in the desk under. The latter HCC designs are established to be introduced above 2H of 2017.
|Cores / Threads||6/12||eight/16||ten/20||12/24||14/28||16/32||eighteen/36|
|Foundation Clock / GHz||three.5||three.6||three.three||two.9||three.one||two.eight||two.6|
|Turbo Clock / GHz||4.||4.three||4.three||4.three||4.three||4.three||4.two|
|Turbo Max Clock||N/A||4.5||4.5||4.4||4.4||4.4||4.4|
|L3||one.375 MB/core||one.375 MB/core|
|PCIe Lanes||28||forty four||forty four|
|Memory Freq DDR4||2400||2666||2666|
Board companions have introduced dozens of motherboards on this platform, various of which we will have an prospect to search above in the coming weeks and months.
Other AnandTech Assessments for Intel’s Basin Falls CPUs and X299
- The Intel Skylake-X Evaluate: Core i9-7980XE and Core i9-7960X Tested
- The Intel Skylake-X Evaluate: Core i9-7900X, i7-7820X and i7-7800X Tested
- The Intel Kaby Lake-X Evaluate: Core i7-7740X and i5-7640X Tested
- Intel Announces Basin Falls: The New Substantial-Stop Desktop Platform and X299 Chipset
- ($four hundred) The ASRock X299E-ITX/ac Evaluate [backlink]
- ($390) The ASRock X299 Professional Gaming i9 Evaluate: [backlink]
- ($360) The MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon Evaluate [backlink]
- ($340) The ASUS X299 TUF Mark one Evaluate (this critique)
- ($300) The MSI X299 Tomahawk Arctic Evaluate [backlink]
- ($289) The ASRock X299 Taichi Evaluate [backlink]
- ($260) The MSI X299 SLI As well as Evaluate [backlink]
- ($500) The GIGABYTE X299 Gaming 9 Evaluate (planned)
- ($four hundred) The GIGABYTE X299 Gaming 7 Evaluate (planned)
- ($350) The ASUS Strix X299-E Gaming Evaluate (currently being examined)
- ($330) The EVGA X299 FTW-K (arrived)
- ($290) The EVGA X299 Micro (arrived)
- ($?) The EVGA X299 Darkish (planned)
To study exclusively about the X299 chip/platform and the requirements therein, our deep dive into what it is can be observed at this backlink.
X299 Motherboard Evaluate See
If you’ve been following the minutiae of the saga of X299 motherboards, you might have heard some challenges about electric power supply, overclocking, and the capability to cool these processors down supplied the electric power consumption. In a nutshell, it arrives down to this:
- Skylake-X consumes a large amount of electric power at peak (150W+),
- The thermal interface inside of the CPU doesn’t do much necessitating a impressive CPU cooler,
- Some motherboard suppliers utilize Multi-Core Turbo which raises the electric power consumption and voltage, exacerbating the issue
- The VRMs have to offer with much more electric power, and because of to losses, increase in temperature
- Some motherboards do not have ample VRM cooling without having an energetic cooler
- This will cause the CPU to declock or hit thermal electric power states as to not degrade parts
- This will cause a functionality drop, and overclocked techniques are influenced even much more than typical
There has been some superb operate performed by Igor Wallossek above at Tom’s Hardware, with thermal probes, thermal cameras, and functionality analysis. The base line is that motherboard suppliers need to have to be careful when it arrives to default options (if MCT is enabled by default) and give ample VRM cooling in all eventualities – either much larger and heavier heatsinks or shifting back again to energetic cooling.
This signifies there are going to be some X299 boards that perform usually, and some that underperform based mostly on BIOS versions or style and design decisions. We are in the procedure of quantifying exactly how to symbolize this outside the house of primary benchmarking, so continue to be tuned. In the meantime, choose a search at the upcoming motherboard for critique.