Microsoft switched the Windows Update log file from a simple text doc to a binary file with the release of Windows 10.
This meant, amongst other factors, that you could not just open the log in a simple text editor to go by way of it, or use text editing resources to method it instantly.
Microsoft launched a PowerShell cmdlet called Get-WindowsUpdateLog that Residence consumers and administrators could use to convert the binary log file to a formatted simple text doc.
The cmdlet accepts numerous parameters, but you can also operate it devoid of any to merge and convert Windows Update traces information to a solitary log file that is readable in any simple text reader.
The method up right until now relied on accessibility to Windows symbols which have been pulled from a community Microsoft symbol server. If accessibility to the server was not obtainable at the time, for instance for the reason that of network troubles or if the local product was not related to the World wide web, the formatting would not function as intended.
Microsoft altered the need in the Tumble Creators Update for Windows 10. When you continue to need to have to operate Get-WindowsUpdateLog to format the log information, a relationship to a symbol server is no lengthier necessary for it.
Optional parameters stated:
- -Affirm — This parameter prompts you and waits for affirmation before it runs the PowerShell cmdlet.
- -ETLPath Path(s) — This lets you pick the folder, file or information that you want processed by the cmdlet.
- -ForceFlush — Forces the Windows Update Agent to flush all of its traces to etl information. Stops Update Orchestrator and Windows Update expert services, calls for elevated privileges.
- -LogPath — Specifies the route the processed log file really should be penned to.
- -ProcessingType — Specifies the file sort for momentary information that are established in the course of processing. Default format is CSV, but XML could be utilised as perfectly.
- SymbolServer — Pick out the Microsoft Image Server. Default is the community symbol server.
- -WhatIf — A dry operate that previews what would take place if you would operate the cmdlet.
Ghacks needs you. You can uncover out how to guidance us right here or guidance the web page instantly by starting to be a Patreon. Thank you for becoming a Ghacks reader.
The submit Microsoft enhances Windows Update log formatting in Windows 10 version 1709 appeared very first on gHacks Technologies News.